The Riverhead Shelter Campaign
The North Fork Animal Welfare League is proud to announce the launch of a capital campaign to renovate the Henry Pfeifer Community Center into a new state-of-the-art animal shelter. The new shelter will serve the homeless and lost dogs, cats and other animals of the Town of Riverhead. Help us reach our goal. Click here to make your donation to the Riverhead Shelter Campaign today.
The Riverhead Town Shelter, which has been under the management of North Fork Animal Welfare League since early 2013, is a decades old building in great disrepair, located next to a garbage dump and waste processing plant. Sadly, the shelter is poorly lit and ventilated, and lacks sufficient space for the animals in our care, as well as for staff, volunteers and visitors. Further, there is no space to care for cats, though many are in need of a safe home until forever families can be found. The shelter has no amenities for exercise or socialization of the animals, and offers no safe place for walking dogs outside the building. There is no room for humane education or training volunteers. Even with the upgrades and repairs that The League has made, the facility will never meet our standards for the animals or the residents of the Town of Riverhead.
The new Riverhead Town Shelter will be a model shelter, with an energy efficient design that is bright, airy and accommodating for the animals in our care as well as the surrounding community. The new shelter will be clean, spacious and state-of-the-art, with indoor and outdoor areas for dogs and cats. Areas for animal intake, family bonding, humane education, storage and administration will make the space more functional.
What To Expect At The New Riverhead Shelter
The newly renovated, state-of-the-art building will have an array of amenities including:
- 21 adoption floor kennels for dogs (located in the new Troxel Pavilion)
- Space for group housing and individual spaces for cats
- Comfortable bonding rooms for families to become acquainted with shelter pets
- Dedicated areas for dog training, as well as orientation classes for volunteers and the public
- A clean and safe setting to walk dogs
- The ability to expand animal welfare related services for our community
- Space for staff and volunteers, as well as storage of supplies
- Energy efficiency, with proper ventilation and lighting
- Ample parking for visitors and staff
- Quiet space for outdoor exercise pens
- The best place for animals to call “almost home” while they wait for their forever home
DONATE NOW! Make your donation to the Riverhead Shelter Campaign today. No gift is too small. Every gift brings us closer to our goal. With your help, we will renovate and open the new Riverhead Animal Shelter.